Tuesday, July 29, 2008

plagiarism, or 'idea borrowing'

Maybe neither.

As the misguided young punks sitting opposite from me finished their conversation, packed up their shitty guitar that conveniently read 'THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS,' and walked slovenly down the street I couldn't help but imagine Woody Guthrie rolling over in his grave. I hardly believe the two even know the reason a rambling pioneer from Oklahoma adopted the slogan, let alone what it would mean for a musician today to even begin to lay claim to a legacy like that. I desperately wanted to give them a copy of Dust Bowl Ballads and walk away quietly, hoping they get the message.

But maybe I'm too quick to take offense to such obviously blatant cultural plagiarism. It is entirely possible that the teen and his guitar graffiti are simply an example of someone latching onto something they don't understand, and furthermore don't know how to represent. One might pay tribute to Woody Guthrie through creating a political cartoon, or penning a song, rather than simply brandishing a piece of wood that supposedly 'KILLS FASCISTS.' I'd be willing to give them a second chance, though...

No comments: